Monday, December 17, 2012

Gender Fake Out!

Well, week 20 in this pregnancy was a very eventful one! I’m sure most of you have read my Facebook and/or Instagram and got a gist of what went down for us, but I’ll give the details anyways!

So Matt were really, REALLY excited to find out the gender of our first baby.  We did an elective ultrasound at about 16.5 weeks to find out early and the news was baby BOY! We were thrilled as we both had a feeling that baby Whitman was indeed a boy and we were excited about the first being a boy so he could be the protector to any future baby girls we had.  J  We had a boy’s name already picked out and went full steam ahead with preparing for our baby boy!

I was most excited about the 20 week appointment because I was excited about spending so much time looking at our baby and making sure everything was ok! It never even crossed my mind that the elective ultrasound could have been wrong.  I mean…it was a difficult scan, I know.  Baby was not cooperating from the get go and it took the tech a while to actually get the shot he needed. But I assumed as soon as he got it, we were golden. 

So when we get to our appointment on Friday, the tech asks us if we wanted to know the gender and we told her we wanted confirmation because we had chosen to find out early.  So she begins to take the pictures and measurements she needs and I just lay back and relax because I knew it would take a little bit of time.  I kept seeing her staring at the monitor for long periods of time, but I figured she was waiting for baby to move a certain way so she could get the shot she needed.  

While she was scanning, we were small talking and Matt kept saying “he” in the conversations.  So finally, the tech was like, “so…they told you it was a boy?” (long dramatic pause) …”Because I’m thinking it’s a girl.”


Wait..what?

She kept saying how the legs were together just like last time and she was waiting for a leg kick or something so she could be 100%, but she wasn’t getting it.  Since she couldn’t get a good shot, it was still up in the air at this point, so I think our minds were starting to wrap around the possibility of baby GIRL Whitman instead of baby BOY Whitman.  I got up, did some jumping jacks, laid on both sides, and she jiggled my belly with the Doppler. Still nothing…this child was all cozy and was not interested in moving around to give us a peek! Same thing that happened at the elective ultrasound (which should have been a clue for us!). 

Finally she moved around enough for the tech to see the picture she needed.  She said at that point she would be out buying pink dresses.  She even had the radiologist come in and check as well and we go a resounding “GIRL” from both! We still have to go back to get some more measurements that the tech wasn’t able to get, so hopefully they won’t go back to telling us “BOY!”  I don’t think I can handle that stress!

We called our Moms on the way home from the Dr. to tell them the news.  Matt’s mom was wanting to get an “Elliott” tattoo on that day, so we had to make sure she knew not to!  That would have been an interesting conversation! Grandmas are both over the moon because they were not-so-secretly pulling for a girl the entire time! This will make for a great story someday and more than anything, we are thankful that Baby Whitman is healthy…and a little sneaky!

Matt and I are trying to wrap our minds around sweet baby Sophia Caroline Whitman joining us in April. J


Practicing her Miss America wave already!


4 comments:

  1. AAHHH! how crazy and what a fun story you now have to share with Sophia one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I still can't believe it happened!

      Delete
  2. Love that you shared this! Congrats on your sweet baby girl!

    ReplyDelete