Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Ultimate Hospital Bag List from a new Mom!

My college roommate and BFF, Natalie has a sweet baby girl in August.  She was nice enough to email me a list of things she needed for her hospital stay, so I thought I would share it with yall!  I know that there are a million hospital bag lists all over the internet and Pinterest, but here’s one more from a new mommy.  I’m going to break it up a little bit, but this is a list of clothing you might need for your stay!

The Hospital Bag List- Part One

Clothing:

·         Granny panties.  Some that you don't care if you have to throw away.  I actually didn't use mine till I got home but you may need them so take them.

·         Fluffy Robe!  Even though those hospital gowns are great (pause for sarcastic sigh) you will feel better having something to wrap up in that is yours and you can always throw it in the washer when you get home to get the hospital yuck off of it.  Also, fun tip, ask for two hospital gowns, wear one with the opening in the back and then put the other on over top of that one with the opening in the front! That way while you are laboring you won’t worry about messing up your own robe and your backside won’t be all exposed to the world!

·         Your own comfy clothes for after delivery.  Nightgowns are the best because if you deliver vaginally you will have to clean yourself every time you use the bathroom so pants and shorts are a bit difficult. And button downs are ideal for nursing.  The hospital gowns they gave me I actually wore the entire time cause they were pretty comfortable and they had nursing openings in the front.  I actually took way too many clothes I went through bras and socks the most.

·         Nursing bras!  I have a couple of Sports Nursing Bras that I wore during labor and it was super comfortable! 

·         Socks (some you don’t care if they get messed up)

·         Slippers/house shoes or flip flops

·         Something nice to wear for pictures. Nothing fancy just a black or grey shirt or dress will do (since those look best in pictures) this goes for the Dad too!

·         Your going home outfit.  Comfort is key with this one.... jeans are prob. not the best idea.

·         Comfy clothes for the Dad!! Remind him that he needs pajamas or something cause the nurses will be coming in at all hours during the night... AKA no nakedness!

·         Shoes that he can easily get on and off. 

·         And again for the dad to be.. take something to pass the time since labor takes a while!  Maybe a couple of books that he read during down time while you are laboring.

6 comments:

  1. I do like some of the exact details of other lists around the web, but I love this one for it's simplicity and focus on comfort. Hope your L&D goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I brought some comfy tshirts and yoga pants. The hospital gowns aren't that bad, but I liked feeling normal in my own clothes. They give you mesh panties to wear after delivery to help hold the pads close to you, so I didn't find yoga pants to be a bother because I had to pull my panties down anyway. I had flip flops and then the hospital supplied a pair of socks. Something to pull your hair up with for sure! I'm guessing by the Part 1 on the post that she sent you more so I'm only commenting on the clothing part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great list!!!! i TOTALLY agree on the going home outfit!!!!

    personally i'm most comfortable in pjs at the hospital. I wear a sports nursing bra for labor and bring extras for the hospital stay! i like pants for my pjs and have never had any issues wearing them at the hospital...i've also NEVER worn my own underwear. the ones they give you are SUPER comfortable!!!!!

    and i did laugh out loud about something to keep the dad entertained during labor...trust me...you will NOT want him being focused on anything else but you ;) we packed a ton of stuff for zach the first go round and then nothing the 2nd ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll probably end up bring some books or DVD's for Matt. The last thing I want is him staring at me for like...16 hours waiting for me to push Sophia out! haha We'll see if we use them!

      Delete
  4. What's up, just wanted to say, I loved this blog post. It was practical. Keep on posting!

    Have a look at my site :: free cccam server

    ReplyDelete